I picked up one of these things as a lark, about a year ago, mostly because well, I was getting tired of buying and throwing away $3 gel pens. This came free with a giant bottle of Noodler’s Baystate Blue, along with a marker pen that’s currently living life as a makeshift refillable highlighter. The vast majority of this bottle of Baystate is still in existence, and I dare say that it will probably be many a year before I finish off the bottle, especially since I rather do prefer the ink diluted in water, three parts ink to one part water.
I’m considering getting a fountain pen; what would y’all recommend?
Characteristics I care about:
- Fairly fine nib; I currently write with 0.35 mm gel ballpoint pens; I’d like a fountain pen to have a line of similar thickness.
- Relatively cheap. I’m looking for less than twenty dollars, thirty max.
- Non-cartridge option; I would rather not be locked into buying ink from a specific supplier.
- Relatively transportable, as in it won’t get sad if placed in a backpack and carried around.
- Holds a reasonable amount of ink. I….would rather not have to refill half-way through each day.
I’m currently mostly looking at the fine-tip converted Platinum Preppy, with probably a Noodler’s bulletproof ink….any opinions?